Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Countdown To #1 -- Rock N Roll's Greatest 55 Bands -- #55

Today we begin a 55-post specialty blog that will lay out my own loves, musically speaking.

Because these posts may appear at irregular intervals, I will occasionally link to them from Twitter.

And when we've reached #1, I'll link up with The Northumbrian Countdown, where I was initially challenged to consider my musical favorites--thanks Alex Voltaire!

Each band will be graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

Now, before we begin, let me say that some of today's musical acts may sound better than many of the bands on this list.  We've come a long way, musically.  But, while that may well be the case, the key is that there's a lot of very good music being made in our time, and because there's so much, it simply doesn't have the impact that it would 50 years ago.   Similarly, the number of interesting TV shows is much greater now.  But only blockbuster hits like The Simpsons and The Colbert Report can be referenced, these days, with the expectation that most readers will have watched and have a feel for the show.

#55 - The Jefferson Airplane 6/4/3/1 = 14 points out of a perfect 40

Just barely making an appearance, in the 55th slot, is an early innovator, introducing America to what at the time were somewhat revolutionary ideas:
 * that finding love is the imperative focus for life (the song "Somebody to Love")
 * that a female voice could be as dominating as that of any male, while also being self-assured when channeling as much thunderous news (Grace Slick, fronting for both songs referenced here)
 * that, using the allegorical imagery of Alice In Wonderland, it could be said that you should "feed your head" (the song "White Rabbit")

Fun Fact: the incredibly talented 'Sly' of Sly and the Family Stone was the producer of the B-side recording, Free Advice, that accompanied the first release of "Somebody To Love", then titled "Someone To Love" and recorded by Slick's band The Great Society prior to her joining Jefferson Airplane.

My Memories: I first heard "White Rabbit" in the summer of '67, recently out of the 6th grade.  I was visiting the local junior high for some reason.  The allegorical language was perfect for my age at the time.  I first remember "Somebody To Love" when arriving at a dance in 7th grade; I may have intentionally sabotaged the affair (though not consciously) by injuring the area above my left knee in an attempt to get inside.  This led to my going home to get bandaged up and meaning a round of tetanus shots.  Who didn't I meet there thanks to my trip up?


No comments:

Post a Comment