Tuesday, September 23, 2014

#48 - Elton John

If judged by success alone, Elton John would be among a handful of contenders for the top ten spots among Rock's all-time greatest; after all, his remake of "Candle In The Wind", for Princess Di, has sold more copies than any other single.

And when I was in high school I bought and listened to every Elton John record.  With "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road", however, I left and never did come back.  I was listening to different music in college and had always found lyrics like "...saturday night's alright for fighting..." to be troubling when combined with the song's driving pace.  John's music--though consistently good (from '70 through '00 he had at least one top-100 hit every year)--lacks the focused messaging that would make it great, although there are of course exceptions.  For example, Tumbleweed Connection's 'western' theme, with songs like "Country Comfort" work well for me.

....................................
Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

4/4/5/4 = 17 out of a perfect 40
.....................................

Interesting factoid: The Hollies' hit "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother", which came out in 1969, has Elton John on piano.  This was his sideman period.

(Note: #48 was originally Marvin Gaye.  In comments, the case was made that my grade for "influence in my life", a zero, was questionable, since music like "What's Going On" had a profound impact in some quarters.  This is an excellent critique of the Mighty 55's mission (either leave off the part about being a 'typical American' or broaden the 'my life' concept), and I will take the offered pointer, rejiggering Marvin Gaye's score accordingly.)

1 comment:

  1. Elton! I love Elton. Glad to see he made the list-- rumor has it, he'll be doing some shows next year in celebration of the 40th anniversary (!) of the Captain Fantastic album.

    ReplyDelete