Tuesday, September 30, 2014

#40 -- Sleater-Kinney

Your office has been notified.
This is a hack-a-tude.
Bellow it to the pebbles.
We here; we can tell.

......................................

Note:

The above hack appeared here on the 6th of April.  The group Sleater-Kinney was inserted in the header, instead of the original Kate Bush.  Since I've recently been listening to S.-K., and feel their music represents a hat-tip to the high-intensity, youthful sound of today, I'll okay the change.  Besides, I think I know who hacked this post, and they might just do it again if I protested.

S.-K.'s 2015 release, No Cities To Love, is something I've grown to enjoy, after many listenings.  Getting used to Corin Tucker's vocal wallop reminds me of the first impression Bono made on me, back in the '80s--too intense.  But, I don't feel that way anymore.  Quite the contrary.

Take "Price Tag", the album's opening number.  If you don't smile when the lyrics get to hungry kids at the grocery store reaching for "the good stuff"....  you might need a hack-a-tude adjustment.

......................................

Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

8/2/10/5 = 23 out of a perfect 40


......................................

Half-hearted warning: If you're an old fogey like me, this is not only high-intensity music, as I mention above, but, it's also cutting edge: melody fused with 'difficult' chord progressions.  If you like bubble gum pop, S.-K. will present a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment