Sunday, September 28, 2014

#43 - Traffic

What do you call a band that had numerous breakups, with multiple members quitting, but always rejoining?  Traffic, wouldn't be a bad choice for this sort of coming and going.

Also, where might a band of Brits--world music lovers, with their first few hits in the UK, eventually find their greatest success?  In the US, of course.

And that paradox can be explained in one word, which was Traffic's secret sauce: improvisation; after all, jazz is an American invention.

Their sound began as psychedelic pop, following in the footsteps of The Beatles and Donovan with a side dish of jazz.  A pivot occurred in the '70s, with a turn towards that improvisation.

Their 1970 album "John Barleycorn Must Die", was one of my first purchases; this, after borrowing my friend Jim Paul's copy.  I can recall playing the title track loud enough for my mother to hear as she ironed in the next room.  I was sure she would approve of that renaissance-sounding number.

.......................................

Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

7/6/4/3 = 20 out of a perfect 40

.......................................

Notes: Traffic's use of world music percussion (Rebop Kwaku Baah) and wind instruments was thrilling at the time.....  I will be mentioning Steve Winwood (Spencer Davis Group, Blind Faith, solo) in my summary piece that explains how I chose to deal with, for example, Paul McCartney and John Lennon's solo careers in light of an overshadowing Beatles oeuvre.

1 comment:

  1. Love, love, love John Barleycorn. And I wish Dave Mason and Steve Winwood would reunite already.

    ReplyDelete