Wednesday, September 17, 2014

#54 -- Indigo Girls

Today, September 17th, we continue counting down the 55 greatest bands.

55 is an awfully small number when considering the myriad acts in each of a dozen or more genres commonly referred to as Rock and Roll.  


So, I will use #54 to stand for all the no doubt wonderful performers who have, for one reason or another, made a good first impression in my life, but have not been investigated further..., yet.


And because #54, Indigo Girls, has yet to be investigated, I won't be grading them.

....................................



Each band is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music



....................................


I will say, however, that I will eventually address the 'also rans' that just barely missed out in making the cut.  These would be the bands that either have affected me, but I'm no longer eager to hear, or those that I do enjoy, but that are reminiscent of many similar acts.  Or some such combination of scoring beyond #55.


To do this, I will consider all bands that appear on Alex Voltaire's 192-band Rock and Roll Hall of Fame list, as well as the linked lists at the Future Rock Legends website.

2 comments:

  1. Great symbolic placement. I love the Indigo Girls, but their music may be too political, too feminist, or too folk for some tastes. If you want to follow them, I think "Galileo", "Shame on You", "Power of Two", "Closer to Fine", and "Fleet of Hope" are their best pieces of work.

    I'm loving this series, and am eager to see who else falls on your top 55. I think I know who #1 is, though...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex, you can't be sure what act will be #1 because I'm letting all candidates compete equally in my mind. Just today, I took an excellent pointer, yours, about my misuse of the "Influence in my life" grading concept and rejiggered the #48 position. So, it may well be that by the time I get to the top ten I'll have found a way to get Chicago Transit Authority into the ballpark!!!

    Will be listening for the Indigo Girls' songs you list. Am familiar with #2 and #4, as they get exposure on various XM stations that I happen upon now and again (usually background music).

    Honestly, I don't think much of the thrasher, flat-line country and quivering voice pop that is so ubiquitous these days will be around in 40 years. What --will-- be celebrated is music with focused messaging. But, what do I know, I still haven't gotten over the fact that Carole King wasn't buoyed along the red carpet on the shoulders of the crowd when she first became eligible for the HoF.

    ReplyDelete