Saturday, March 14, 2015

#23 -- Crosby, Stills & Nash

One plus One plus One = More

First, yes, we will be getting to Neil Young, eventually, but for now let's limit ourselves to Crosby, Stills & Nash.

Second, now that I think of it, no other early '70s act inspired me as much as CSN--those being my high school years.  

Third, here are three songs, one for each band member, that I especially liked at the time and have always been with me:

Almost Cut My Hair.  The narrative and music unfold as one, with phrases like "...and I wonder why I feel like letting my freak flag fly..."; as classic as they get.

Carry On.  That jump-out-of-bed, innovative sound really was thrilling at the time.  And those fade out words with their twisting harmonies: "Love is coming to us all"; still fresh.

Marakesh Express.  Returning to the states from Asia, at the time, the idea of traveling by train through a foreign land, like the up-beat tempo, was both eerily familiar and welcome.


....................................

Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

10/9/6/6 = 31 out of a perfect 40
....................................

The Troy McClure Weird Fact Award Goes To: the CSN logo was created by the late comedian Phil Hartmann.

2 comments:

  1. Ayyy! I stopped looking for a short while, and look at what you did in my absence! I love CSN; in fact, they are my fourth favorite artist, after The Beatles, Elton, and Chicago. There's lots of great gems in the catalog- 'Southern Cross', 'See the Changes', 'Got It Made', 'In My Dreams', and a track that's in the running for my favorite of all time, 'Cathedral'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We agree! Have yet to hear 'Got It Made'. Soon.

    BTW, recently checked out the all-time bestseller list and noticed your hobbyhorse "C......" has outsold oodles of worthies already in the Rock 'N Roll Hall of Fame. But you already knew that.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_music_artists

    ReplyDelete