Sunday, March 22, 2015

#20 - Eagles

Makin' It Popular

I was reading a textbook in my dorm room at college towards the end of the final semester in my last year there, 1977, and in walks my buddy, Chuck, with a 6-pack and a new record: Hotel California.

Not having a stereo at college, I relied on another friend down the hall for music.  But just this once, Chuck brought along a portable stereo, set up the speakers, and the one tune ever played in my dorm room, Hotel California, blasted out the window, greeting the nearby redwoods.

Yes, we were both at least 21, but thinking back on it, three beers apiece was probably more than we needed to drink to enjoy the new music.  In any case, I can remember liking the music on first listen.

Which is characteristic of Eagles music; as powerfully popular as it gets.
....................................

Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

7/9/7/8 = 31 out of a perfect 40
....................................  

It's true: the name is just Eagles.

No comments:

Post a Comment