Monday, October 13, 2014

#34 -- Paul Simon

Paul Simon is a great example of an act that could be referred to in either of two ways: as Simon & Garfunkel or as Paul Simon.  In this case, I consider his solo career more important than his earlier two-man collaboration, though not by much.

Simon's recordings with Garfunkel were favorites in my early teens.  My first few years listening to AM top-40 hits, beginning in '66, focused on songs like, Homeward Bound, Sound of Silence and I Am A Rock.  They were perfect for my age and musical upbringing.

The cultural enrichment, however, that marked Simon's solo career was even more important for me.  Beginning with the early-70's reggae styled "Mother and Child Reunion" and "Me and Julio Down by the Schoolyard" (not to mention the earlier, "El Condor Pasa"), Simon went on in the '80s to bring first South African and then Brazilian artists and styles to the fore, establishing himself as a pioneer in world music.


...................................

Each band or performer is graded on four things:
  1.  Innovation
  2.  Influence in my life--as a typical American
  3.  Integrity: the band's approach to music (just making a buck or honing a craft?)
  
  4.  Immortality--am I, a typical American--still eager to hear their music

8/5/9/4 = 26 out of a perfect 40

....................................

Anecdote: In early '70, after hearing the opening bars to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" for only the second or third time, I unplugged our bathroom transistor radio and excitedly brought it into my folks' bedroom, plugged it in, and was shocked that they didn't consider the tune one of the best things they'd ever heard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment